Cooking Classes

31.7.10

A Drive in the Country #3

I had reason to travel to my home town, Carlyle,  this weekend.  I took a few pictures and I think I grew up in a beautiful place.  The countryside is verdant and alive.  There is a creek, Moose Mountain Creek, that wends its way through miles and miles of this land and with that are lovely ravines.

My father was a grain farmer and we lived on the land.  The crops have changed somewhat, canola and lentils are common.  But there are still the beautiful blue flowers of a flax field. 

I saw a donkey with the horses!  I first learned of this in Tennessee last year.  Donkeys abhor coyotes and as a result are a great protector for other livestock.













I visited the lake we went to every possible Sunday in the summer.  At that time it was a hub of activity with beautiful beaches, softball and hardball tournaments and church summer camps.  With the seasons of a lake and the weather, the lake has receded and the beaches have been replaced with meadows.

Driving through the reservation to the lake, I still find beaver lodges and tranquil ponds.


I appreciate more than ever my simple upbringing in rural Saskatchewan.

8 comments:

  1. I have many friends who grew up in Saskatchewan. I always refer to it as the province with an endless sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Il est agréable de voir qu'il existe encore de telles étendues vertes sans être bétonnées.
    Quelle chance tu as d'avoir autant de nature autour de toi. Joli lieu de l'enfance.
    Bon weekend et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful trip! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sarah, what a heavenly place. I really need to move to the country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to post my son's girlfriend's comments about our area soon. It's wonderful to see your part of the world through the eyes of a stranger, and I enjoy your pictures from your area. Thanks for the tour, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sarah your photography is stunning!! You'll make a prairie lover out of this mountain girl yet :) Beautiful country!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.